Environmental Policy Targets
Formulating Environmental Policy Targets
Environmental policy targets are an integral part of any environmental
policy. A number of issues have to be considered when formulating
environmental policy targets and objectives. Environmental objectives might
be dedicated to tasks like reduction of waste and elimination of pollutants.
1. Issues to be Considered in Environmental Policy Targets
(a) How do environmental policy targets and objectives reflect both the
environmental policy and significant environmental impacts associated with
the organizationís activities, products or services?
(b) What have the employees responsible for achieving the environmental
policy targets and objectives achieved in its development?
(c) How have the views of interested parties been considered?
(d) What specific measurable indicators have been established for the
objectives and targets?
(e) How are the environmental policy targets and objectives regularly
reviewed and revised to reflect desired improvements in environmental
2. Environmental Policy Targets and Objectives
Environmental objectives can include commitments to
- Reduce waste and the depletion of resources,
- Reduce or eliminate the release of pollutants into the environment,
- Design products to minimize their environmental impact in production,
use and disposal,
- Control the environmental impact of sources of raw material,
- Minimize any significant adverse environmental impact of new
- Promote environmental awareness among employees and the community.
3. List of Environmental Policy Targets and Objectives
The objectives and targets are tabulated below by taking the example of
solid waste disposal which is common for all industries. In the format can
be revealed the present and achievable targets and their final relevance to
the Environment Management Programme (EMP) for affecting improvements.
Solid waste disposal
(a) Description Identification of sites for various wastes,
segregation, storage in temporary sites, construction of permanent sites,
storage and disposal
(b) Quantity (Consumption or Usage)
- Present Stored in unidentified condition on land
- Achievable Storage of waste at identified places and their
disposal as per procedure
- Eliminate or Reduce Reduce
- Performance Indicator
(A) Short Term;
(B) Long Term (50 % in each year). Complete removal of waste.
(c) Time Frame Will be depicted in EMP (Environment
(d) Responsibility Section Head (HOS) or Stores
[The picture used in this article has been taken from
the photo library of stock.xchng.]
More Articles by Dr Dilip Ganguly